19 February 2009

The First Post

Welcome to my blog. Essentially I'll just be posting links to articles I have found particularly interesting, with a short (-ish!) comment. The articles will vary in content and range from the highbrow to the frivolous, although there will probably be a strong current affairs/foreign policy/human rights bias. Basically, I spend a disproportionate amount of my time reading stuff on the internet, so I thought I'd find a way to make this seem productive. This is it. Lucky you.

At the highbrow end of the spectrum, I'll be trying to post stuff that challenges lazy intellectual or political certainties, whether wielded by the left, right or middle-of-road. There will be an emphasis on all the things we don't get enough of in our usual media diet: open-minded enquiry, context and thorny moral/political choices, and an acceptance that there is rarely an easy right-or-wrong answer.

Unless, of course, the question is "Cake?" - to which there is only ever one appropriate response.

Enjoy, and do contact me with any suggestions or questions.

No comments: